Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lamb Eggplant Stew

When I was in high school, my mom's friend, who never really seemed to be interested in culinary delights made this dish. I watched from across the kitchen as she went from cookbook to cutting board to stove. Curiosity grabbed me and I tiptoed over to read the cookbook. "Promising", I thought to myself. It was a Greek cookbook and the recipe was Lamb Eggplant Stew over pilaf.

Not really one to plate anything for aesthetic pleasure, I received a plate that was laden with a rich looking, brown creation served on a bed of rice pilaf.

The smell? Dazzling. The taste? Mouth-watering. To this day it is still on of my favorite meals.

Yes, I've tweaked it and changed measurements until it became the perfection that was hiding below the surface on that first day.

Serves 6 people.

Ingredients:

1 lb. lamb stew meat, pieces should be small bite-sized cubes
1 large eggplant, cut into bite-sized cubes
1/2 cup cabernet sauvingnon (optional)
8 oz. crimini mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsn olive oil
1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes, no salt added
2 Tbsn oregano
1 Tbsn basil
1/2 cup plain, non-fat yogurt (optional)
1 tsp mint for garnish

Directions:

In a 3 quart pot, saute onions in olive oil for one minute and then add garlic. Saute on medium for 3 minutes and then add mushroom. Cook until mushroom have released most of their liquid (5 minutes). Add lamb and cook until meat is browned.
Add wine, simmer for 5 minutes. (For my friends who do not drink: this is not a necessity to have this great recipe!)



Add eggplant and continue to saute for 8 minutes.



Add tomatoes, with the juice, oregano and basil and cook for another 15 minutes.



At this point you can add the yogurt which gives it a stroganoff-type creaminess or you can opt not to and it will stay a gravy sauce. Either way is beautiful!

Now serve out over rice pilaf, sprinkle mint very lightly over top and serve. This rich dish freezes beautifully and tastes great as leftovers!




Enjoy!

0 comments: